Malcolm X Death
NEW YORK (AP) — The family of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X marked on Tuesday the anniversary of his 1965 assassination by announcing plans to sue agencies including the CIA, FBI, the New York Police Department and others for $100 million, accusing them of playing a role in his death.
Two of his daughters, Ilyasah Shabazz and Qubilah Shabazz, were joined by lawyer Ben Crump at a news conference at the site of the former Audubon Ballroom in upper Manhattan, where Mr X was fatally shot as a crowd gathered to hear him speak on February 21, 1965.
For decades questions have circulated over who was responsible for his death.
Researcher Abdur-Rahman Muhammad questioned the original evidence relating to the assassination in his 2019 documentary Who Killed Malcolm X?
“For years our family has fought for the truth to come to light,” she said at the news conference. “We want justice served for our father.”
Emails seeking comment were sent to the CIA, FBI, Department of Justice and New York City’s legal department. The DOJ and NYPD declined to comment.
Mr Crump noted the anniversary date and said that ever since then, “there has been speculation as to who was involved in the assassination of Malcolm X.”
He cited the 2021 exonerations and said that government agencies including the Manhattan district attorney, the NYPD and the FBI “had factual evidence, exculpatory evidence that they fraudulently concealed from the men who were wrongfully convicted for the assassination of Malcolm X.”
Asked by reporters whether he believes government agencies conspired to assassinate Mr X, Mr Crump said, “That is what we are alleging, yes. They infiltrated many civil rights organisations.”